Friday, July 29, 2011

Stretching myself as an artist....

My goal for this year is to really stretch myself as an artist--can't really do that without trying new things and taking risks. While I am mostly self-taught, I am at a point where learning from the pros saves a lot of time, money and forces me to jump in. I bought a clay working book a month ago, and have read it front to back several times--even know which project I would start with. But, I keep coming up with other projects due to my fear of failure. Might be time to find a clay class :).

Another medium I have been drawn to is glass--earlier this week, I took a class with my mother-in-law, Dede to make fused glass pendants. We had a great time, learned a lot and now we have to wait a week to see what our creations look like. Seems like an eternity! But, we signed up for a second class, so we can improve upon our first attempt. Maybe there is a kiln in my future yet!

One of the many reasons I started this blog so that I could participate in a thing called 'bead soup'. Jewelry designers across the world sign up for bead soup. Then, you are assigned a partner. You send them a cool pendant, a cool clasp and some accompanying beads from your stash. They send you the same. Then, you make something with at least the pendant and clasp, using your own stash to supplement. Next, we all post the beginning stash and eventual creation on our blogs. Another way to get me out of my comfort zone. I can't wait to do this--signups are the first of August, so I will keep you posted!

Funny, when you start to look for new opportunities for growth, some just seem to come out and find you. This week, a neighbor called and asked if I would have any interest in coming over one evening and teaching a class on jewelry design to a group of women. I had always thought teaching would be fun--I actually went off to college intending to become a high school math teacher--but hadn't yet pursued that road with my business. At this point in my life, this sounds like a lot more fun than teaching math to high schoolers, lol! Looks like this coming Monday night just might be the night. I am going to show them how to paint and embellish metal pendants. LOVE the idea of sharing my passion with others!

So, now that you know my bucket list for this year, I know you will hold me accountable! I have seriously been considering closing the boutique for two months this fall, starting in September. I really want to focus on creating and learning, with all sorts of new things to present just in time for your holiday shopping. A sabbatical, of sorts. That being said, if you are going to want a custom gift during that time, you may want to start thinking about it now :).

No comments:

Post a Comment