Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Taking the plunge....

Well, today I did it. I sent off a submission to a jewelry magazine. Not any jewelry magazine--my favorite one. The one that I feel inspires me every time, and actually features jewelry designs that are innovative and wearable at the same time. The kind of pieces I aspire to make. I won't know for at least a week or two, and I am suddenly very nervous. You see, when I started out making jewelry, I had no intention of ever selling a single piece. I would buy something and like it almost as is, and then tweak it. Then, I stopped buying pieces that I almost liked and just started creating. I started out with bracelets, watches and earrings. But, I was literally scared to death to try a necklace. What if I couldn't do it? Around the time that my hobby became a business, I decided to tackle the necklace. While I was so proud of them, my first necklaces were, in fact, basic and are in retrospect, somewhat embarrassing! As with most things, my style has evolved, my business has survived--and thanks to all of you, even thrived. I have even one a few contests along the way (although, truly, I have to wonder if you all weren't so supportive with your voting, would I have one on my own merit?!).
So, now I have put myself out there--a true test to the quality of my work--and my creativity. As I type this, I realize that I am really putting myself out there--sharing my insecurities, and knowing that I will have to share the outcome, either way. Hmmm, maybe I should delete :). But, no, you have shared this journey with me thus far, rallied behind me--why not let you in now, too! Besides, just like with my first necklace attempts, if I am not accepted now, I will try, try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment